"Howling At The Moon; Odyssey Of Monstrous Music Mogul In An Age Of Excess"


FROM HARDCOVER BOOK BY CBS PRESIDENT WALTER YETNIKOFF: conversations between him and Michael Jackson.



"When I threw a black-tie party for him at the Museum of Natural History in NYC, there were more security guards than guests! Donald Trump was Michael's new best friend....

At the very moment I was about to introduce Michael to the glittering crowd, he whispered in my ear, "I have to tinkle. Can you take me to the potty?"


(His brothers were broke and wanted to tour with Michael, which his mother also wanted, so here is a partial conversation he had with Yetnikoff:)
"When I was a kid, my brothers never stopped teasing me."
"So you're angry."
"Very."
"I don't blame you."
"But I don't want my mother angry with me."
"You've got a problem, Michael. Ever think about therapy?"
"I could never tell these things to a stranger."
So flip a coin. Heads you tour, tails you don't."
"You flip."
"Alright...I just did. It came out heads."

In a few months, the Victory Tour, hit the road.
Before that came the (1984) Grammys...
Michael (called)
"I think I'm going to win a lot of Grammys."
"I think you're right."
"But everyone says Quincy is going to win some, too. And I don't want him to. Quincy didn't really produce the record. I did. Quincy has enough Grammys. He doesn't need any more. Tell them not to give him any Grammy for "Thriller."
"I can't tell them anything, Michael. The Grammys are run by NARAS. I have no influence over the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences."
"You have influence over everyone."
"Except God, NARAS and Michael Jackson."
"You can call Quincy and tell him to withdraw."
"No one withdraws."
"If he doesn't, I won't let him produce my next record."
"That'd be foolish."
(Much followed but need when Yetnikoff cursed at him and told him to go to the Grammys "and act like you're happy."
He did.
Between Michael and Quinicy, "Thriller" won a dozen Grammys. Michael acted like he loved Quincy more than life itself."
(Hardcover) Release date: 2004-02-03