History Channel Is Liking "Vikings' Winning Series Starting March 3 At 10 P.M.

DON'T KNOW IF GABRIEL BYRNE BLOWS HIS OWN HORN BUT PARADE ASKS HIM HOW HE KNOWS VIKING HISTORY?
"I'm from Dublin, and I grew up with a knowledge of their contribution to Irish culture. They are stereotyped as invaders and pillagers, but they were much more sophisticated and complex."

How did he get prepared? "I grew my hair very long and the costumes were pretty spectacular, so it was hard not to feel like a 10th-century Viking warlord."

Having studied archeology before becoming an actor, he was intrigued. "I actually worked on the excavation of Viking ruins in Ireland and was lucky to find a perfectly preserved child's leather shoe with ornamental stitching. I don't think there's anything more exciting than knowing the last time a human had seen that shoe was 1,000 years ago."