My Critters Had The Jitters When I Took Scissors In Hand To Cut Their Hair

If you're picturing grade school girls with curly locks -- they don't run in my Danish side of the family. (Did you ever see a Viking hairdo? They hid the hair beneath.) Vikings were said to cut off the heads of vanquished enemies. Today people toast "Skoal" but Vikings meant skulls.

My girls' growth on their domes was straight as a stick, not reliable or pliable. All three would face me with grrrrrs coming out of their mouths.

Here's how the conversation went: "Don't move!" "Stop fidgeting!" "What do you mean, I scraped your forehead?" "SIT STILL!" I yelled.

They would end up crying. "I can't go to school this week looking like this! The other kids will point their fingers at me and laugh!"

Mom bought barber's shears so she and dad could do each others haircuts. When she was older, Mom went to J. Baldi, my hairdresser - -he was the second store to open on , after Carroll's Jewelers was first. Daddy said, "Before you went there, you looked like an old woman." He had to go and add, "Now you look like an old man."
Miracle Mile

J. Baldi was so generous, he wouldn't charge people in the media. Both Ann Bishop and Molly Turner of Channel 10 would show up when first he opened to get their hair done everyday. (I was glad Channel 4 turned me down as an "Andy Rooney" type because I coughed a lot. Cigs, you know. Fortunately, I never had to worry how I looked sitting at my trusty IBM. I had a sign on the front that said, "I'm not hard of hearing, I'm ignoring you."

Thanks to my parents' wonderful sense of humor, which they also imbued into my four kids' craniums, we all can laugh at messy hairstyles. I remember one of my school chums used to shout at others, "Messy hair!" The good thing about concentrating beyond learning, is that you're so wrapped up in automatic typing, what others say is a blur.

Writing has always blockaded any thrown stones. Being hard of hearing is a blessing, for when you need to concentrate, nothing interrupts.